Trump's lawyer Michael Cohen sought $1m from Qatar: Report

#Trump

Qatar turned down Cohen's offer, made weeks before Trump's inauguration, Washington Post reports

Cohen tried to solicit Qatar for $1m for access or insight into Trump administration (Reuters)
MEE and agencies's picture
Last update: 
Friday 18 May 2018 9:16 UTC
Topics: 

US President Donald Trump's longtime personal lawyer Michael Cohen asked the Qatari government for at least $1m in December 2016 in exchange for access or insight into the Trump administration, the Washington Post reported.

Qatar turned down Cohen's offer, made weeks before Trump's inauguration, the Post reported late on Wednesday, citing several people with knowledge of the situation.

A spokesman for Ahmed al-Rumaihi, who at the time was head of the investments division of Qatar's sovereign wealth fund, confirmed Cohen had requested a $1m fee.

But the spokesman, Robert Siegfried, said the request related to the possibility of advising Qatar on investments in US infrastructure, and that at no point was access to the administration discussed.

"The conversation was regarding infrastructure investment in the US," he said.

"At no point did Mr al-Rumaihi or anyone else from Qatar Investments pay the requested fee, nor did Mr Al-Rumaihi ever entertain making such a payment."

READ MORE ►

'Extremely well': Trump hails ties with Qatar after meeting emir

Cohen's attorney Stephen Ryan did not respond to a request for comment.

The solicitation would be the latest such exchange offered by Cohen to be made public after acknowledgements by US and European companies last week that they paid Cohen, who was Trump's lawyer for about a decade.

During this time, he reportedly gloated about his connections to Trump, calling himself Trump’s “fixer” and said that he could make a fortune through consulting for the upcoming president. He also tried to get a White House position after the presidential election, the Washington Post reported.

Al-Rumaihi told the Post that Cohen made the solicitation in early December 2016 at the Peninsula Hotel in New York, an account Siegfried confirmed. They later spoke again outside a meeting in Trump Tower in New York on 12 December 2016, where al-Rumaihi was part of a Qatari delegation that included Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed al-Thani, the Post reported.

Swiss drug maker Novartis AG said it had paid Cohen almost $1.2m, US telecommunications company AT&T said it made payments of $600,000, and South Korea's Korea Aerospace Industries said it hired him for $150,000.

Novartis and AT&T have said they were contacted by the office of US Special Counsel Robert Mueller about the situation in late 2017. Mueller is investigating possible collusion between Trump's 2016 presidential campaign and Russia, something that Trump has repeatedly denied.

At the same time, prosecutors are investigating Cohen for possible bank and tax fraud, possible campaign law violations linked to a hush-money payment to porn star Stormy Daniels, and perhaps other matters related to Trump's presidential campaign, a person familiar with the probe said.