IS branch in Libya claims execution of two Tunisian journalists

#LibyaCrisis

A group said to be affiliated with the Islamic State organisation claims to have executed two Tunisian journalists held captive since late 2014

Tunisian journalists shout slogans and hold images of two Tunisian journalists kidnapped in Libya (AFP)
MEE staff's picture
Last update: 
Friday 13 February 2015 8:45 UTC
Shares:
125
Topics: 

The Libyan branch of the Islamic State (IS) group on Thursday claimed to have killed two Tunisian journalists who went missing in September.

In a statement released on IS-affiliated websites showing pictures of Sofiene Chourabi and Nadhir Ktari, IS's Libya affiliate - Islamic Emirate of Cyrenaica - said it had "applied the law of Allah" against them.

The posts added that Sofiane Chourabi, a presenter and producer with First TV Tunisia, and photographer Nadhir Gtari had been executed because they were working for a television company that was deemed to be anti-Islamic.

It was not immediately possible to verify the claim.

Nejiba Hamrouni, former president of National Union of Tunisian Journalists told the Libya Herald there had been no confirmation as yet. “We still do not have any information about it,” she said. 

Friends of the two men took to social media in shock, saying that they had believed the pair were being held by a smaller group. However, three days ago rumours began circulating that the journalists were being held by IS. 

Chourabi and Gtari were first abducted on 3 September but then released before being seized again near the coatal town of Ajdabiya on 8 September.