A gruesome video purportedly showing Egyptian soldiers killing three detainees in the restive Sinai Peninsula is fuelling criticism of human rights abuses in the country.
The video was broadcast by Mekameleen TV, an opposition news channel, on Thursday night with President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi's government already under scrutiny over its intense crackdown on dissent and free speech and the conduct of security forces battling Islamic State-linked militants in the Sinai.
The Egyptian army has not addressed the content of the footage, which appears to echo concerns raised by Human Rights Watch last month about alleged extra-judicial executions carried out by Egyptian security forces.
Most mainstream Egyptian media outlets have avoided discussing the leaks, but pro-government news website Youm7 said the three-minute clip was fabricated by the Muslim Brotherhood and Al Jazeera.
According to Youm7, the video contained several "glaring" inconsistencies. It said the soldiers in the footage were not speaking with Egyptian accents and had beards and long hair, which are banned by the army. It also said the use of mobile phones with cameras by soldiers is prohibited.