Lawyers acting for a US journalist based in rebel-held northern Syria and a former Al Jazeera bureau chief have filed a lawsuit against US President Donald Trump and other senior officials who they say have placed them on an alleged "kill list".
Human rights group Reprieve and law firm Lewis Baach filed the case on behalf of Bilal Abdul Kareem and Ahmad Zaidan, a former Islamabad bureau chief for Al Jazeera Arabic, in the US District Court in Washington on Thursday.
The lawsuit states that the defendants placed the pair on a "kill list" which has "resulted in their being targeted for death".
Abdul Kareem, an occasional Middle East Eye contributor, told MEE on Friday that "well-placed sources have informed me that I have been included on the drone list for flights that take off from the Incirlik airbase in southern Turkey".
Incirlik is used by US forces carrying out air strikes against the Islamic State (IS) group and other Syria-based armed groups.
Abdul Kareem and Zaidan contend that they were erroneously placed on the list by the previous administration of former president Barack Obama.
But their lawyers said they believed Trump's administration not only planned to pursue existing names on the list but had also “removed certain restrictions and criteria previously employed in the designation of persons to be included on the Kill List".
The lawsuit states: "Neither Zaidan nor [Abdul] Kareem pose a continuing, imminent threat to US persons or national security. Neither Zaidan nor [Abdul] Kareem is a member or supporter of any terrorist group. Inclusion of Zaidan and [Abdul] Kareem on the kill list under these circumstance was arbitrary and capricious, and an abuse of discretion."
Abdul Kareem last year described to MEE how he had walked away from a suspected drone strike which destroyed the vehicle in which he was travelling.
He said he and his crew had been filming outdoors shortly before and were waiting to interview a fighter with the then-al-Qaeda-aligned Nusra Front when the attack occurred in June 2016.