We are now seeking to recruit a Graphic Designer to work at our main office in London.
Your role will be to ensure the provision of quality graphics, including maps, graphs and infographics, for all platforms. There will also be some in-house design work such as advertisements, banners, and stationery.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Produce compelling, clear and accurate graphics, including maps, infographics and graphs, across web and social media for editorial teams.
- Understand the needs of editors and reporters, including pro-actively offering design solutions.
- Develop creative ideas and concepts, choosing the appropriate media and style to meet editorial and business objectives.
- Ensure content reflects our diverse audience.
- Keep up to date with emerging industry trends.
- Pro-actively participate in newsroom discussions about content, including at morning editorial conference.
- Supporting the Creative Lead in their role.
- Any other task as and when required by the organisation, including in-house design.
Key Attributes and Qualifications
- Experience in a similar position, including a strong and relevant portfolio of creative design.
- Mobile first approach to editorial design.
- Understanding of social platforms and ability to tailor graphics for each platform in format, size, and design.
- Strong editorial judgement and grasp of news, including a passion and interest in MENA current affairs.
- Highly proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Familiar with After Effects and Premier.
- Numeracy and confidence at handling statistical data; knowledge and understanding about different forms of graphic, including when each is most appropriate.
- The ability to follow design commissions, and anticipate and flag issues in a timely manner.
- Excellent written English.
- Knowledge and thorough appreciation of design, digital media and journalism.
- Accuracy and attention to detail, as well as an understanding of the importance of consistency and house style for editorial workflow.
- Resourceful time management and organisational skills, including working to deadlines.
- Ability to react and work under pressure to newsroom demands, including during breaking news.
- Creative and innovative, not just in how you design but also in how you approach the role.
- Pro-actively anticipating others’ needs and offering solutions.
- Excellent sense of UX, including anticipating audience needs and understanding the user’s point of view.
- Work as part of a team, flagging issues in a timely fashion; also provide feedback to colleagues and supervisors.
- The ability to work independently and unsupervised.
- Resilience and flexibility, with a willingness to learn new skills for longer term personal development.
- Ability to take responsibility for own and joint team goals.
- Learn from feedback to inform future work and development.
- Fluency in Arabic, Hebrew, Persian or any other non-European languages common in the MENA region.
- Experience in journalism, ideally newsroom-based.
- A degree in graphic design is advantageous although other art and design subjects will be accepted, as well as journalism qualifications.
- The ability to produce hand-drawn illustrations.
- Understanding of media law.
This Job Description identifies the main requirements of the job. It is not an exhaustive list of duties but is intended to reflect the nature, range, and context of the work, which may change over time.
To apply send your CV and cover letter to [email protected] with the position in the subject line