Skip to main content

Egypt's top prosecutor accepts grounds for appeal in Mubarak's trial

The move means that the appeal will be considered by the Court of Cessation
Mubarak waves to media during his trial (AFP)

Egypt's top prosecutor, Hisham Barakat, accepted the basis for an appeal on Thursday against former President Hosni Mubarak who was acquitted in late November of complicity in the killing of protesters in 2011, local media said.

If true, the decision might pave the way for another trial although today’s step is largely procedural and means that the appeal will be referred to the Court of Cassation - Egypt’s top court - for consideration.

Mubarak, along with several top military commanders, was originally found guilty of inciting and aiding the killing protesters in 2012 and sentenced to life in prison.

However, the verdict was thrown out late last year, much to the outrage of many who said that it undermined the 2011 revolution. 

"The ruling was marred by a legal flaw," the prosecutor's office said, adding that its decision to appeal was "not influenced by disputes among political groups".

While, almost 900 protesters were killed in the 18-day January 2011 uprising that ousted Mubarak following an almost 30-year rule, the charge sheet against Mubrak included only the names of 239 victims.