Skip to main content

Israel begins ground invasion in Gaza, clashes reported

Israel launches controversial ground incursion into Gaza to 'damage the underground tunnels' of Hamas
Fresh Israeli attacks have pounded Gaza as ground offensive launched (AFP)

Israel has launched a ground offensive in Gaza, with reports saying that some troops have already been spotted in the northern parts of the Strip.

Five Palestinians, including a three-month-old baby, have already been killed, Palestinian medical sources told AFP. There have also been claims from the Gaza Ministry of Health that dozens of people are being treated for asphyxiation, caused by an unknown white gas.

Translation: "Dozens of peoples have arrived suffering from poisonous white gas asphyxiation, used by the occupation forces in the northern Gaza Strip and in the Shawka area in Rafah"

We have not been able to independently verify these reports, however.

According to Middle East Eye sources on the ground, Israeli warships have also intensified their shelling while Israeli tanks are believed to have entered Gaza and begun shelling the north and south of the country, including the Rafah crossing into Egypt. There have also been as yet unconfirmed reports of an incursion from the east.

Al-Wafah hospital in Gaza City was also shelled, although International Solidarity sources who had human shields in the vicinity told the Middle East Eye that none of the patients were hurt but that a few staff members had been lightly injured.

The Israeli military has informed many foreign journalists to evacuate hotels close to the beach, with the military asking the government to approve the deployment of 18,000 additional reservists. This would bring the number of Israeli troops on the border up to almost 60,000.

According to Israeli daily Haaretz, Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Benny Gantz said that the army "will launch a joint ground-aerial assault, using full force. We'll continue to expand the fire all over the Gaza Strip."  

Hamas responded by stating that the Israeli action was "foolish" and a "dangerous step". 

"The occupation will pay a heavy price for it," the group added. 

News of the ground offensive was broken by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office, which issued a statement shortly before 11pm local time (21.00 GMT).

"The prime minister and the defence minister have ordered the [Israeli military] to begin a ground operation in order to damage the underground tunnel terrors constructed in Gaza leading into Israeli territory,” said the statement.

"The prime minister and the defence minister have ordered the [Israeli military] to make preparations for expanding the ground operation. The order to act tonight has been approved by the security cabinet.”

There have been conflicting reports about an alleged Hamas incursion that took place early on Thursday. Israel says it blew up a Hamas tunnel and prevented Hamas fighters from carrying out a mission inside Israel, although Hamas has denied this, insisting that Israel blew up the tunnel as the fighters were already returning from their mission.

The Israeli army says it foiled an infiltration of Hamas fighters into southern Israel early Thursday while the group denies the army's version saying the fighters had already completed a mission when they came under Israeli fire.

The Israeli military also claim that more than 100 missile have been fired from Gaza since the end of Thursday's truce.

The incident occurred several hours before a five-hour UN-brokered humanitarian ceasefire, came into effect this morning.

"Operation Protective Edge will continue until it achieves its objective - to restore quiet and safety to Israelis for a long time to come, while significantly harming the infrastructure of Hamas.” Netanyahu's office said in the statement.

After Israel resumed its bombardment of the Gaza Strip and before the ground offensive was launched, 18 Palestinians including six children, were killed.

This included three children from the same family who were killed while playing on the roof of their house in the Sabra neighbourhood, southwest of Gaza City.

Al-Jazeera reporter Tamir Mishal said that, after the ceasefire, Israel conducted five major aerial strikes, while Palestinians responded by firing many rockets. Shortly before the announcement of the ground operation, Egypt sharply criticised Hamas, saying the group could have saved dozens of lives had it accepted a Cairo-mediated truce. Hamas, however, had rejected the Egyptian proposed ceasefire, saying that it was not compelled to abide by a ceasefire on which it was not consulted.

Hamas officials repeatedly said that they first heard of the ceasefire through international media outlets. While the group was initially said to be considering the deal, it quickly spurned the deal which was scheduled to start on Tuesday.

"Had Hamas accepted the Egyptian proposal, it could have saved the lives of at least 40 Palestinians," Egypt's Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukri said.

Since Operation Protective Edge was launched last Monday, more than 240 people have been killed in Gaza and 1,700 wounded. 

Stay informed with MEE's newsletters

Sign up to get the latest alerts, insights and analysis, starting with Turkey Unpacked

 
Middle East Eye delivers independent and unrivalled coverage and analysis of the Middle East, North Africa and beyond. To learn more about republishing this content and the associated fees, please fill out this form. More about MEE can be found here.