Skip to main content

Palestinian teen dies weeks after being shot by Israeli troops: Ministry

The 17-year-old was shot in the head on 23 March
Israeli soldiers near the Beit El settlement (AFP)
By

A Palestinian teenager shot by Israeli troops in the occupied West Bank last month died from his wounds on Monday, the Palestinian health ministry said.

The incident on 23 March saw Israeli troops shoot dead another Palestinian teenager and seriously wound three more Palestinians, including the 17-year-old confirmed dead on Monday.

He was identified as Jassem Mohammed Nakhla, and died after being treated for head wounds at an Israeli hospital, the ministry said.

At the time of the incident, an Israeli army spokeswoman said soldiers shot a number of Palestinians throwing petrol bombs at the Israeli settlement of Beit El, near the Palestinian Jelazoun refugee camp.

A wave of violence that broke out in October 2015 has claimed the lives of 260 Palestinians, 41 Israelis, two Americans, one Jordanian, an Eritrean and a Sudanese, according to an AFP count.

Most of the Palestinians killed were carrying out knife, gun or car-ramming attacks, the Israeli authorities say.

Others were shot dead during protests or clashes, while some were killed in Israeli air strikes on the Gaza Strip.

The violence has greatly subsided in recent months.