Skip to main content

Saudi forces down seven missiles from Yemen as one person killed

Debris from missiles kill Egyptian resident in Riyadh and wound two others
Saudis inspect damage from the Houthi missile attack on Riyadh (Reuters)

Saudi forces intercepted seven missiles fired by Yemeni Houthi rebels on Sunday, which left at least one person dead and two others wounded, the Saudi-led military coalition fighting in Yemen said.

"Air defence forces intercept and destroy seven ballistic missiles fired at the kingdom," Saudi state news channel Al-Akhbariya quoted the coalition as saying.

The missiles, fired late on Sunday night, killed an Egyptian resident in Riyadh and wounded two Egyptian residents in the Saudi capital, coalition spokesman Colonel Turki al-Malki said, according to SPA.

It said the death and injuries occurred in a residential house and were caused by falling debris.

Reuters reporters in the capital heard several loud booms and saw smoke in the air shortly before midnight.

Another witness said he saw a long stream of light followed by additional explosions.

Yemen's Houthi-run SABA news agency reported that the group's missile force had targeted King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh with a Burkan H2 missile.

The group also fired other types of missiles at airports in the southern Saudi cities of Abha, Jizan and Najran, according to the SABA report.

The Houthis are planning a huge rally in Sanaa on Monday to mark the war's third anniversary.

Saudi authorities could not immediately be reached for comment.

Houthi missiles

Since November, Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthi rebels have fired multiple missiles into Saudi Arabia, all of which Saudi forces say they intercepted. 

The Houthis expelled pro-government forces from the capital in September 2014 and went on to seize swathes of the impoverished Arabian Peninsula country.

This prompted the Saudi-led coalition to intervene militarily in Yemen on 26 March 2015 to help the government.

Since then, around 10,000 people have been killed and 53,000 wounded in Yemen, which is also battling cholera and diphtheria outbreaks.

The United Nations says living conditions in the war-scarred country have reached catastrophic levels and that 8.4 million people face imminent famine.

Numerous rounds of UN-sponsored peace talks have failed to stem the bloodshed in Yemen.