Yemen: At least 12 dead, including children, in Aden airport blast - security official
At least 12 civilians, including children, were killed on Saturday in a car bomb blast near the airport of Aden, the Yemeni government's interim capital, security officials said.
"Twelve civilians were killed in an explosion" in the vicinity of Aden airport and "there are also serious injuries", the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told AFP, adding that the cause of the blast was unknown.
Another security official confirmed the toll.
A spokesman from the Southern Transitional Council (STC), part of Yemen's government, said the blast was caused by a car-bomb explosion.
"A car bomb was detonated, killing a number of our peaceful citizens, including children, and wounding a number of other civilians," STC spokesman Ali al-Kathiri said in a statement.
The explosion came almost three weeks after six people had been killed in a car-bomb attack that targeted Aden's governor, who survived.
AFP footage on Saturday showed people pulling out a body from a vehicle that had been completely destroyed, as firefighters put out flames nearby.
The internationally recognised government relocated to Aden from the capital Sanaa in 2014, forced out by the Houthis, who are fighting Saudi-backed Yemeni government loyalists.
A Saudi-led military coalition has intervened in Yemen's war since 2015.
No one has yet claimed responsibility for Saturday's blast, which is the deadliest in the area since December last year, when an attack targeting cabinet members ripped through Aden's airport.
At least 26 people, including three members of the International Committee of the Red Cross, were killed and scores wounded when explosions rocked the airport as ministers disembarked from an aircraft.
All cabinet members were reported to be unharmed, in what some ministers claimed was a Houthi attack.
Children killed in Taiz
Also on Saturday, three children were killed and three more critically wounded in a neighbourhood of Yemen's third city, Taiz, by what state media said was rebel mortar fire.
"The Iranian-backed Houthi militia targeted the al-Kamp neighbourhood with... shells, which led to the death of three children," the Saba news agency said.
One of the wounded children had his legs amputated and all three "are in a critical condition", it added.
A security official told AFP that the three children killed were brothers.
A doctor at Taiz hospital confirmed the report to AFP and said the toll could rise.
Taiz is a city of 600,000 people under government control in the southwest of Yemen.
In recent weeks, fighting has intensified around the government's sole remaining northern stronghold, the city of Marib in the oil-rich province of the same name.
The coalition has said it has killed some 2,000 rebels around the city in almost daily strikes since 11 October.
Yemen is also home to al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, which launches periodic attacks against both fighters aligned with the country's authorities and the insurgents.
Tens of thousands of people, mostly civilians, have been killed and millions displaced in Yemen's conflict, which the United Nations has called the world's worst humanitarian crisis.