Most intensive care patients in al-Shifa hospital have now died, says doctor
Ahmad Mikhallalati, the head of plastic surgery at al-Shifa hospital, has been speaking to Al-Jazeera about the situation at Gaza's largest medical facility.
The hospital was raided by Israeli troops two days ago, and bulldozers have since razed sections of the complex.
Here are some key things Mikhallalati said on Friday:
- Israeli forces had taken a number of bodies from inside the hospital complex
- Most intensive care patients who were on ventilators have now died due to lack of oxygen and fuel
- A "large number" of premature babies have died due to the Israeli siege on the hospital (he didn't specify how many)
- Children are suffering from severe intestinal infections due to the lack of clean water
- Israeli forces stormed two buildings in the complex, and tanks and snipers are still present in the vicinity.