Skip to main content

Dozens die as Houthis shell Yemen's Taiz

Red Cross official says situation in Taiz is 'dire' as 29 reported dead and many others injured in day-long rebel attacks targeting province
A resident inspects damage to homes in Taiz after the bombing (Anadolu)

Twenty-nine people were killed and 90 others injured in shelling in Yemen's Taiz province by the Houthi militia, reports say.

Residents told the Anadolu agency that a number of homes were destroyed in the attacks, which reportedly lasted all day on Thursday.

Antoine Grand, the head of the International Committee of the Red Cross in Yemen, expressed deep concern.

“The situation in Taiz is particularly dire, even by the standards of the appalling conditions all over Yemen, with nearly half of the hospitals closed and streams of wounded people desperate for treatment,” Grand said.

Anadolu reported that the Houthi militia fired volleys of Katyusha rockets.

After more than six months of conflict, the people of Taiz have been suffering severe water, food, electricity and fuel shortages, according to the Red Cross.

Yemen has remained in turmoil since last year, when Houthi militants overran Sanaa, the capital, from which they extended their influence to other parts of the country. 

In March, Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies began an extensive air campaign aimed at reversing Houthi gains and restoring Hadi’s government, most members of which had fled to Riyadh.

Last month, following a string of Houthi military reverses, Hadi - along with several members of his Saudi-backed government - returned to the war-torn country after six months in Saudi Arabia.