MSF mobile clinic bombed in Yemen
Local sources in Yemen have confirmed that a Doctors Without Borders (MSF) mobile clinic was targeted by air strikes from the Saudi-led coalition on Wednesday.
In a statement, MSF said that they could not provide further information due to the evacuation of the site by staff members in the al-Khashabeh village in the southern area of Al Houb.
“Seven people have been wounded so far and two of them are in a critical condition,” the statement said. “Our teams are still collecting more information about the incident and providing treatment to wounded people who were caught in the air strikes.”
This is not the first time that an MSF-run clinic has been targeted. On 27 October, a hospital in Saada was repeatedly targeted by coalition air strikes, injuring six people.
MSF spokesman Hassan Boucenine told Al Jazeera at the time that the attack “must have been deliberate” as the organisation regularly gives the coalition the coordinates of their facility.
“We give GPS positions, all the positions, of our hospital to the coalition head, and we renew them every month,” Boucenine said.
Since May 2015, MSF has been providing emergency medications and surgical supplies to hospitals in the southern city of Taiz, which is currently under siege by Houthi rebels. Since October, the Al Houban area has also been receiving medical care.
It is not the first time an MSF hospital has come under fire while providing medical care this year. An MSF hospital in Afghanistan was hit in a US air strike in October, killing more than 20 people.
In the last seven months, the Saudi-led coalition has targeted the rebel Houthi militia.
The Houthis overran the capital Sanaa last September and advanced into other parts of the country, forcing President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi to temporarily flee the country to Saudi Arabia. Hadi returned last month to Aden, where the internationally recognised government is now based.