Yemen conflict: Aden boat shelling kills dozens
Shelling from Houthi militiamen has killed 5 people in a Saudi Arabia border town, according to Saudi authorities.
The town of Najran in southeast Saudi Arabia was struck by mortar fire from the Yemeni militiamen late on Wednesday killing one soldier and four civilians. The town has come under repeated fire from the group, with Saudi fighter planes responding with bombing runs against Houthis leaders.
Earlier on Wednesday, Houthi militiamen shelled a boat carrying internally displaced persons (IDPs) off the coast of the southern Yemeni city of Aden, killing at least 40 people, according to the Reuters news agency.
The boat had been about to sail from al-Tawahi harbour towards al-Bureiqah, a coastal Yemeni town just to the west of Aden, when it was struck by two missiles launched from tanks.
According to statements from local paramedics, the group was standing on the harbour about to board the boat when the missiles hit.
Paramedics initially told the Aden al-Ghad newspaper that they had seen at least 32 bodies.
Bodies of those killed were taken to a military hospital in al-Tawahi town.
It is unknown as of yet whether the boats were hit intentionally.
Basuhaib Military Hospital last month put out an urgent call for supplies, saying they were in urgent need of surgical equipment.
Many of those injured are thought to be in a critical condition.
Some twitter users posted photos claiming to show multiple boats sinking in the harbour - however, these were later dismissed as fake:
Aid agences threaten departure
Since March, Saudi Arabia has led a coalition of Arab states bombing Houthi militants in the impoverished Arab country.
Imports into Yemen have been disrupted by the conflict - around 80 percent of the population are estimated to be going hungry, according to the UN and a shortage of fuel has crippled supplies, including to hospitals.
The lack of fuel has also led to increased difficulty for aid workers in the country, who have warned their operations are under threat.
"Millions of lives are at risk, in particular children, and soon we will not be able to respond," Edward Santiago, country director for Save the Children, said in a statement.