Skip to main content

Coronavirus: UAE imposes night curfew as it carries out disinfection campaign

The UAE has reported 333 cases of the virus and two deaths so far
A general view of ADNOC headquarters in Abu Dhabi (Reuters)

The United Arab Emirates is set to impose overnight curfews in a bid to tackle the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

Starting from Thursday, the country will begin curfews as it carries out a nationwide disinfection campaign.

The Gulf country has increasingly restricted movement after it confirmed 333 cases of the virus as well as two deaths, but had not announced an official curfew or work suspension.

Authorities announced that the UAE will restrict movement of traffic and people overnight from Thursday until Sunday. The restrictions will last from 8pm to 6am each night.

Only essential service workers would be allowed out and violators will face fines, a security forces spokesman said in a press conference on Thursday.

Public transport including trams and metro services will be suspended, while private cars, cabs and delivery vehicles can operate outside those hours.

Suspensions and evacuations

The UAE has slowly followed other Gulf states in suspending passenger flights and closing public venues such as restaurants and malls.

Dubai on Wednesday directed the private sector to implement remote working for most staff but exempted a broad spectrum of businesses.

Kuwait and Saudi Arabia have taken the most drastic steps, including imposing partial nationwide curfews and suspending work at most public and private sector establishments.

Kuwait and Oman announced more confirmed coronavirus infections on Thursday, taking the total in the six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council to just over 2,500 cases, with eight deaths.

Coronavirus in the Middle East: What you need to know so far
Read More »

Saudi Arabia has the highest tally of infections at 900.

Saudi Arabia has released 250 foreign detainees held on non-violent immigration and residency offences as part of efforts to contain the spread of the disease, the state-backed Human Rights Commission said on Thursday.

Bahrain and Kuwait have also announced prisoner releases.

Bahrain continued to evacuate several hundred Bahraini pilgrims stranded in Iran, which is an epicentre for the disease in the region.

A second repatriation flight of around 60 Bahrainis arrived overnight from the holy Iranian city of Mashhad, operated by Iranian airline Kish, families and a Bahraini official told Reuters.

Bahrain earlier this month repatriated 165 people, but a number of subsequent scheduled flights were cancelled. At least 85 of the first batch of evacuees tested positive for the virus.

The island state, which has reported 419 coronavirus cases and four deaths, most of them linked to travel to Iran, has longstanding differences with Iran and has criticised the Islamic Republic for not stamping Bahraini citizens' passports.