Skip to main content

Jordan to continue nightly curfew despite 'containing' coronavirus outbreak

Government spokesman raises concerns of potential second wave of Covid-19, saying 'possibility of its return is real'
Jordan returned to normalcy after the government eased some lockdown measures (AFP)

Jordan will continue to impose a nightly curfew even though the coronavirus is "contained," with a government spokesman raising concerns of a potential second wave of Covid-19.

Amjad Adailah said on Tuesday that even after allowing businesses to reopen and easing restrictions on movement, the lockdown - imposed on 21 March after enacting emergency laws - would remain in place.

"We have contained the outbreak, but the danger is real and the possibility of its return is real and serious," he said.

Coronavirus: Jordan swoons over heartthrob health minister
Read More »

Jordan has one of the lowest figures of the coronavirus in the Middle East, with 465 cases, including nine deaths. Some 370 of those infected individuals have since recovered.

When Jordan reported its first case of coronavirus on 2 March, the kingdom implemented one of the world's strictest lockdowns, prompting chaotic scenes across the country.

At one point, residents faced a year in jail if they left their homes to buy groceries, visit pharmacies or go on short walks. 

Since then, Jordan has eased some measures, allowing some businesses to reopen and for Jordanians to drive their cars during daytime.

The country's prime minister, Omar al Razzaz, heaped praise on the lockdown measures on Tuesday, saying they had brought results that were far better than expected.

The government has not registered any coronavirus cases for the eighth day in a row, he said on state television.