Skip to main content

Live: Protests continue in Sudan after Bashir toppled in 'coup'

Live
Live: Protests continue in Sudan after Bashir toppled in 'coup'
Sudanese president arrested, army to take power for two-year "transitional period"
Key Points
Joy over Bashir's exit becomes anger at 'military coup', state of emergency
Sudanese president Omar al-Bashir has been arrested
Defence Minister Awad Ahmad Ibn Auf sworn in to lead 'transition'

Live Updates

Summary: Protests continue
4 months ago

After the Sudanese military ended Omar al-Bashir's 30-year rule on Thursday, protesters across the country rejected the new authorities' plan for a two-year "transitional period".

Throughout Thursday and Friday, demonstrators defied the country's new rulers, demanding a civilian government, as the joy over toppling Bashir quickly turned into anger against his successors.  

Late on Thursday, Defence Minister Awad Ahmed ibn Auf was sworn in as the head of the "Military Transitional Council".

Ibn Auf is said to be close to Egypt's Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, and last year, he called Sudan's participation in the Saudi-led war in Yemen a "moral duty".

Sudan's Omar al-Bashir: How coup leader and longtime president was ousted from power
Read More »

In Khartoum, activists remained in the streets despite a military-imposed curfew after 10 pm local time. Today, hundreds of thousands rallied across the country after Friday prayers.

The curfew also appears to be facing its challenge for a second night running as protests around the country show no signs of dissipating.

The transitional council is also facing an internal crisis, as the country's influential paramilitary force abandoned the council and its plans on Friday.

Thank you for following MEE's live coverage of Sudan.

For continued updates, analysis, and news from across the Middle East, and North Africa follow MEE on Twitter and Facebook.

Protesters around Sudan prepare to defy curfew
4 months ago

The curfew the military has imposed on Sudan appears to be facing its challenge for a second night running as protesters flood into the streets around the country. 

Hundreds of thousands have gathered outside the defence ministry in Khartoum, Reuters reported, and others have come out in Darfur, North Kordofan in central Sudan, Atbara and al-Gadaref in the north and elsewhere. 

The military council in charge of the country has striked to strike a conciliatory tone, rejected by protesters, but also warned that it would not tolerate disturbances. 

Sudan's satirists inspired
4 months ago

Memes and more traditional political cartoons have been flooding Sudanese social media circles as posters vent their frustration about a protest movement they feel has been hijacked by the military. 

A lot of that creative anger has been focused on Awad ibn Auf, the defence minister who was sworn in as the head of the military council who has taken control. 

Omar al-Bashir being substitued in for ibn Auf

Translation: The military council

Intelligence chief Salah Gosh held up by Alaa Salah, the 22-year-old student protesters whose image has become an icon of the protest movement. 

Sudan paramilitary defects from military council
4 months ago

Sudan's Rapid Support Forces have withdrawn from the military council that took control of the country on Thursday. 

In a statement published on Friday it said it "apologised for participating in the military council" and promised to work for "the protection of the Sudanese people".

The paramilitary's head Mohammed Hamdan Dagolo, known as Hemedti, is rumoured to personally resent Awad Ahmed ibn Auf, who heads the military council. 

Hemedti was a former leader of the Janjaweed militia accused of widespread killing of civilians in Darfur. 

Friday prayers at the protest
4 months ago

Translation: Picture from Friday prayer at the site of the army headquarters sit-in 

Friday's weekly prayers have been held at protest sites in Khartoum and other cities as organisers insist protesters keep the pressure on the government. 

Translation:  Video recording of the crowds at the sit in in front of the Second Infantry Division and the call for Friday prayer 12 April 2019, responding to the strong call freedom and change and rejecting the coup of the military council in Khartoum. 

Who is ibn Auf?
4 months ago

A career soldier trained in Egypt, Sudanese General Ahmed Awad ibn Auf went to the same military academy in Cairo as Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.

During his long military career, he served as the director of military intelligence and deputy commander of the armed forces. After his retirement from the army in 2010, he became a diplomat, serving as consul general in Cairo before becoming Sudan's ambassador to Oman.

In 2015, then president Omar al-Bashir appointed him as defence minister.

Ibn Auf has defended Sudan's involvement in the Saudi-led war in Yemen (AFP/File photo)
Ibn Auf has defended Sudan's involvement in the Saudi-led war in Yemen (AFP/File photo)

Six weeks ago, Bashir appointed Ibn Auf, who would subsequently topple him, as his deputy.

Ibn Auf  "remains close to his classmates at the Cairo military academy", including Sisi, research professor at Tufts University Alex de Waal wrote in the New York Times on Thursday.

Sisi came to power in a military coup in 2013 after toppling democratically elected President Mohamed Morsi.

In February, ibn Auf struck a conciliatory tone towards the anti-government protests, saying that young people protesting against the government had "reasonable ambition".

Still, that wasn't always the case, in January he rebuked the protest campaign, vowing that the armed forces would not compromise over the country's security and leaders.

The United States in 2009 sanctioned ibn Auf for his role in orchestrating war crimes in Darfur.

Last year, ibn Auf defended the deployment of Sudanese forces with the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen despite growing domestic and international criticism of the war that has caused an enormous humanitarian crisis.

"Our participation [in the conflict] is a moral duty, and there is no plan to withdraw our forces as rumoured," he said at the time, as reported by Sudanese news agency Suna.